mercoledì 18 gennaio 2012

Intervista a SNUB


We recently sat down with SNUB a urban artist from Brighton..

Who is SNUB? I’ve been creating artwork as SNUB for ten years or so, a variety of stencil and spray can art. I live and work in Brighton. SNUB is sponsored and powered by KOBRA spray paint.

How would you describe your work? Relentless. Diverse. Hand Crafted.

What is your favourite medium to work in? Spray paint, either freehand or stencil. My favourite tool is my scalpel, Swann Morten with a 10a blade.

How did you develop/find your own style? It found me. It’s an addiction, if I could I’d paint and create work all day everyday. The more you do the more your style expands.

What/who are your biggest influences? I read a lot of comics as a kid, mainly 2000AD and especially Judge Dread and the ABC warriors (Hammerstein, Deadlock, Joe Pineapples, Blackblood, Mongrol, Steelhorn, Mek-Quake, Ro-Jaws). I gather inspiration from rusty bits of metal and peeling paint, the music I listen to and the people I meet. I’m influenced by life. My friends. My family.

How have the Internet and social media sites such as Facebook helped you as an artist? My work reaches a wider audience; I can paint something in the morning and post it to a buyer in Australia that afternoon. A gallery just can’t compete with that. I can paint a wall, upload it from my phone and have feedback and comments before I even get home.

Where would you like to see yourself in five years time? Still creating artwork bigger and better than I have before.

What advice would you give to artists looking to break into the scene and develop a name for them selves? Don’t try to break into a scene just keep painting and developing ideas. The rest will just happen.

Pen or can? Pencil

Wall or wood? Metal

Belton or Montana? Kobra

Where can we see your work, upcoming shows? Upfest Festival 2012 – Bristol Latitude Festival 2012 – Suffolk Outlook Festival 2012 – Croatia And many more yet to be confirmed